Well, it’s almost here, 2012. I have to say that 2011 was one of my more successful years and I’m so thrilled that I got to share it with all of you! You’ve given me so many great ideas, inspiration and encouragement and for that I thank you.
I recently posted how I did with my Resolutions for last year, and after lots of thought, here are things I’m resolving to do in the new year.
1. Read six books, one of which is Atlas Shrugged. Last year I was able to finish Pillars of the Earth, which I’d been working on for ages, and this year I’m ready to tackle Atlas Shrugged, which I’ve also been working on for ages. I realized that I’m a bit to busy for a book a month, but one book every other month is more than do-able.
2. Make something of my writing projects. So, I’ve finished enough manuscripts this year that I can count them on two hands, which means it’s time to make something of them. Several scripts are in the editing phases, and I’m just waiting and working in the meantime. Like any writer, I think each one is a work of art.
3. This year I have some ambitious fitness goals. The first is to stretch and do yoga daily. I know that making the time to do this will pay dividends in the long run (and besides, I’ve always wanted to be able to do the splits). Also, my sisters and I are looking into doing our first triathlon. I’ve succumbed to the fact that my knees aren’t good enough for a half marathon, but they certainly can hold up under a sprint marathon.
4. Start my other projects. I have a myriad of projects in my mental queue, some of which include a cook book, poetry collection and t-shirt company. This year, I will get these completed and off the ground. Every month that goes by, I realize I’m wasting time, but there will be no more of that,
5. Continue with my languages. I’m still working on learning Russian and perfecting my Spanish. I’ll continue with this in the new year and aim to be conversant in Russian by the end of the year.
6. Learn to play guitar. I have these guitars sitting in my room and have no idea how to play them. So, instead of them gathering dust, I’m going to actually learn to play them. I have countless songs written too, so it will be nice to play them rather than just sing them in my head.
7. Write more letters. I love writing people letters! It’s something that I can do which surprises people and brightens their day. I don’t do it enough though. I’ll be sure to write more of these in the new year.
8. Cook more. I have a rule that I made with myself to cook at least one new meal a week, but these aren’t really honing my cooking skills. In the new year, I resolve to challenge myself more in the kitchen and get really good at cooking (especially baking, which I somehow can’t quite get).
9. Don’t sweat the small things. I am one of those people who makes a mountain out of a molehill, which really isn’t healthy. I get very bothered by the littlest thing and I really need to change that.
10. Be more organized. This has forever been one of my weaknesses. As a teen, I considered my floor to just be a giant shelf. As an adult, I’ve changed this, but habits still linger. My kitchen tends to get cleaned the next day, not at night before I go to sleep. I also leave my clothes out for some reason even though I know it takes literally one minute to put them away. My drawers and closet is so unorganized and my bills get looked at and sorted once a year. So, this may be my most challenging resolution, but this year, I resolve to take the extra time to be organized and go to sleep to a tidy apartment.
What are some of your resolutions in the upcoming year? Good luck with them and I wish you all the best in the new year!!