I’ve come to an important realization recently: I prefer snacking to other forms of eating. In fact, one of the things I like most about being a vegetarian is that it’s an excuse to eat a lot of side dishes and live on those alone.
But sometimes I just want a crunchy, healthy snack that will make me feel full-ish. And that’s why I’ve always loved popcorn.
Then recently, a friend of mine was telling me about how she likes to make her own.
Make her own?? What a revelation!
Since I don’t have a microwave, I’ve been without popcorn for over a year, but being able to make it yourself? MAGIC!
So, without further adieu, here’s a simple recipe for popcorn.
What you need:
- 1 cup unpopped popcorn
- 1/3 cup olive oil
What you do:
- Put the oil in a large pot (one that has a lid)
- After about 5 minutes, add a couple of kernels of popcorn and wait for them to pop (that’s how you know your oil is warm enough)
- Add the rest of the popcorn kernels, and cover the pot with a lid
- Cook until you notice the popcorn has stopped popping (about 5 minutes)
- Season and enjoy! Need some seasoning ideas besides just salt? Here are a few to get you started.
Messiness: Since there’s no prep, and everything is contained in the pot, there’s really no mess at all. You have to use the pot though, so it does mean a little more cleanup.
Budget: CHEAP! You can buy the popcorn kernels from the bulk bins to save on them. For reference, I’ve been paying $2.30/lb at Whole Foods. Much cheaper than a box of microwave popcorn.
Simplicity: SO SIMPLE. And as you know, I love recipes that are simple and easy to customize according to what you’re craving.
Delicious scale: Amazing! It tastes fresh, and the olive oil gives it a buttery flavor without all of the extra, well, butter.