I’d have to say that pita pizzas are a big staple in my diet when I’m trying to lose weight. They’re simple, satisfying, portion controlled, and can be as healthy as you want to make them… and as fancy too.
But what happens when you’re out of pizza or spaghetti sauce?!
That happened to me recently, and I had to get creative. I’m in a pretty big sriracha phase, so I thought, why not try and find a way to make that work? It was pretty perfect. With that said, if you’re not a spicy fan, you can easily make this pizza with spaghetti sauce too (just swap the sauce of your choice when you read about the oil and sriracha).
What You Need:
- Olive oil
- 1 pita
- Asparagus (try to pick some on the smaller side so they don’t take as long to cook)
- Tomatoes (sliced)
- Shredded/grated mozzarella cheese
- Feta (optional)
What You Do:
- Cover the pita in a thin layer of oil.
- Spread as much sriracha on your pita as you can handle (I like to make fun designs because I’m a basically an adult who refuses to grow up)
- Layer spinach leaves on the sauce
- Cut the asparagus to that it’s the size of the pita, then arrange as you like with the tomatoes
- Sprinkle a layer of cheese over your pita (the more the better imo, but you can use as much as you want)
- Bake for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees either on the rack itself or on a baking sheet
Messiness — not messy at all… unless you get into a food fight halfway through in which case all bets are off.
Budget — Depending on what’s in season, you can make this all for under $8 I found all of the ingredients at my local 99 Cent store, which puts each pizza at about $1-2/each.
Simplicity — It’s pretty darn simple. A bit more work than putting a premade mini pizza in the oven, but much fresher and healthier.
Delicious Scale — Frankly, I was shocked how much I liked sriracha in place of regular sauce. Together, these flavors reminded me of the Yardhouse’s thai chicken pizza… minus the pizza.